International

Women's Day 2018

National Volunteer Week

​Semaine nationale de

l'action bénévole

1968

Retrospective 2017

Share with friends

Célébrons la Francophonie !

Honorons
notre jeunesse !

Shop local 2017

Financial Guide 2018

SPECIAL SECTIONS

CAHIERS SPÉCIAUX

by Isabel Mosseler
Tribune

The OPP have found both a temporary home and a building site for their permanent detachment in West Nipissing. The temporary location will be at the former Zone building on John Street, and the permanent site will be at the entrance to Cache Bay, off of Highway 17. The news was announced by West Nipissing CAO Jay Barbeau at the April 10th municipal council meeting.

“We have secured and have an agreed offer to purchase the land… The site is in Cache Bay, right off of the turnoff when you turn onto Levac Road. We’ve secured 4 acres from the landowner and will be commencing the development process to build a new building at that site,” said Barbeau. The land was severed from the Arcand farmland in Cache Bay. Barbeau informed that the town purchased 5 acres for $70K, and will retain one acre for cost recovery.

Barbeau was also pleased to share that there will be savings in relation to the original cost projections, since Infrastructure Ontario will be covering “a significant portion” of the building costs, estimated at around $8 million. “One of the pluses that we did not know when we analysed both proposals [OPP and WNPS] was that the Government of Ontario will subsidize a significant portion of the building, reducing the municipal contribution… It assures the public that the decision is now more beneficial than determined in December – now lowering the payback to 5.5 years from the formerly projected 9 years. The return on investment is significantly greater than originally anticipated,” he announced.

Barbeau said that, subject to approval, the municipality will pick up 52% of the cost and Infrastructure Ontario will cover the remaining 48%, for a savings of around $4 million. He expects ground to be broken at the new site within three months.


... to read more, click here.


OPP building site purchased; takeover projected for October